Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Recipe - Boiled Milk Buttercream

After extolling the virtues of the Boiled Milk Buttercream I thought I should share the recipe. This recipe makes enough to cover a cake, and fill one layer. To create the ruffle cake I doubled the recipe.

You can flavour the recipe a number of ways. You can either add flavouring when making the boiled milk, or add it when adding to the butter.

 
I have made this recipe a few times since. One time I replaced milk with coconut milk and added some lime zest to make a coconut and lime frosting. It was divine!

 
I have also added melted chocolate to the milk when boiling it. Although I found I needed to add more flour to get the mixture to thicken.

 
It is important you wait for the boiled milk mixture to go cold before you add it to the butter, otherwise you will cause the butter to melt, making the mixture too runny. Although if this happens you could always put it in the fridge to firm up, then beat again.

 
Buttercream made with milk does need to be refridgerated

Boiled Milk Buttercream


 
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoon Plain Flour
  • 1 Cup Butter - RoomTemperture

 
Put the milk, Sugar and Flour in a saucepan. Stir the ingredients, making sure the flour mixes in without clumps. Bring the mixture to boil. Stir it until it thickens. Keep letting it boil and stir until it goes thick like pudding ( or like Clag glue!).

 
Let the mixture cool.

 
Add the mixture to the butter. Beat until the mixture is combined and fliffy. ( I use the whisk attachment on my beater).

 
It is now ready to pipe onto cupcakes or spread into cakes

 
Enjoy!

No comments: