Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Breathless

The other night my little girl was starting to get sick. In the middle of the night she woke wailing. Not her usual 'Wake up and get me my milk' cry, it was a 'I want my Mummy' one.

I went in and tried to soothe her but anytime I went to leave she stood up, eyes half closed with her arms out, sobbing. I went back in and picked her up, carrying her back to my bed.

Once in bed she snuggled on top of my chest. Attempts to shift her (11 kg!) body were met with more cries.
On my chest she slept.
Head tucked under my chin
Ear pressed to my heart listening to it beat
Arms wrapped around my torso
Feet brushing the tops of my thighs


I fell asleep with my arms and heart full, breathless from the the beautiful gift that I have been given.

and maybe also because of the 11kg weight that was pushing the air out of my lungs...

No comments: